Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages is thefirst institute of higher education in Taiwan that focuses on the teaching of foreign languages. It was established by the Ursulines of the Roman Union of the Order of St. Ursula in 1966. The University was named "Wenzao" in honor of Wenzao Lo, the first Chinese bishop.
At the beginning of its establishmer, admission was only open to female students. Wenzao first opened its doors to male students in 1980. In 1999, Wenzao Ursuline Junior College of Modern Languages was officially restructured to become Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages and renamed to Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages in 2013. The University began to teach a more diverse group of students since then. In response, two-year and four-year college programs, post-graduate study and extension education were added. Presently, there are 12 departments and 5 graduate institutes.
St. Angela Merici, the foundress of the Ursulines, was a visionary in the field of education. She lived in the Renaissance period when humanistic ideas were just beginning to take shape. With her remarkable wisdom, St. Angela successfully integrated faith into human formation.
Now, the Ursulines have set up communities throughout the world with education as their most important mission. The preschools, primary schools, secondary schools and universities established by the Ursulines are based on Catholic educational philosophy and are dedicated to the benefits of society. In 1958, they came to Taiwan and founded a number of schools, including Stella Maris High School and its affiliated primary school and preschool in Hualien, and Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages in Kaohsiung.